Thursday, January 9, 2014

Green Smoothie

Back in early 2013, I began a pretty profound shift towards a more healthy lifestyle. Largely inspired by the Rich Roll Podcast and a few other people, I have found that improving my nutrition has been the absolute key for me. It didn't happen overnight, and as I learn more, my approach on nutrition continues to evolve. However, the amount of improvement I've seen in my running alone is pretty notable, and I have no doubts that it's tied to my recent better nutrition.

This wasn't done without a lot of help, though. Over the last year, I have come across several blogs and podcasts that have helped me in my nutritional journey quite a bit.  I like seeing what works for other people, and pulling inspiration and ideas from what they chose to share. It is my hope that in time I can provide a similar service on this blog to interested people, so I am going to start by sharing something that I feel has served as the single best thing I've done for myself: The Daily Green Smoothie! Rich Roll himself has frequently said "If you're going to do only one thing to make yourself more healthy, drink a green smoothie every day."

So for those who have no idea where to start or how to make a green smoothie, below is a basic outline, or "recipe" I've thrown together for a great and incredibly healthy green smoothie. This can of course be modified to suit your tastes, in fact I do this frequently so that I'm not giving my body the same exact thing every day. Sometimes I'll leave out an ingredient, but increase another. Or, if I happen to have some random fruit sitting around, I'll throw that in for fun. This is only meant to give you a starting point.

The thing I love about this smoothie, is that it helps me get in A LOT more nutritious green vegetables than I'd eat on my own. Blending it all together into a smoothie make things like spinach, kale, broccoli, and chard a lot more palatable, too.

Enjoy! As always, please feel free to comment or contact me with your own ideas or what you find works for you. I always love to hear what other people do!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away!