Thursday, January 16, 2014

Adventures with Jill

View from Red Box Trail off Highway 2 in the Angeles National Forest

While it's pretty established that I love to run trails, I also like to supplement my trail running with an good amount of trail hiking, too. I seem to garner a greater appreciation and love for the outdoors when I slow down and really absorb what's around me. It's good for the soul. And hiking is even more fun when you can share it with someone equally enthusiastic about it. For me, one of my favorite people to hike with is my very good friend Jill.
(Here's a link to Jill's chronicles of her own hiking adventures in 2013: http://jillsmegahike.blogspot.com)
(Here is also a link to Jill's Avon Breast Cancer Walk sites: San Francisco and Santa Barbara Yes that's right, Jill walks 39.3 miles per weekend at those!)

Selfie!
We are both so fortunate to live in the foothills of what I consider to be a little local Mecca of great trails, The San Gabriel Mountains.

One of the things I really love about Jill, is that she is game for just about anything when it comes to hiking trails.  

Me: "Hey! I see on this map here there's this trail somewhere I've never been and I don't really know anything about it and it's a bit of a drive. Wanna go check it out?" 

Without missing a beat, Jill: "Sure!"

With that, we're off. 

Last weekend we hit up a trail I've been wanting to try for a while, the Red Box trail. We did a little out-and-back starting at Switzer picnic area to Red Box and back. Maybe it was because I had the pleasure of great company, I don't know, but the 2,000 feet of ascent in 4 miles definitely did not seem like 2,000 feet. That was a sneaky ascent! I love it!

The scenery on this trail was great, foot and mountain bike traffic wasn't too heavy for a beautiful Saturday, and we even saw some interesting sights! Red Box trail, we'll be back!
Ever wonder what a tree would look like if you decorated it with rocks? Kind of like Christmas but not really? Visit the Red Box trail to find out!

Jill feels strong in 2014!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away!